10/29/10

Prepared for Anything


What are you preparing for? Every one of us is preparing for something whether we know it or not. I was reading the story of David and Goliath recently and I found it interesting that when he faced the giant, he was confident and sure that he could defeat him even when no one else had the nerve to even dare approach him.

1 Samuel chapter 17 says in verse 33 Saul replied. “There’s no way you can fight this Philistine and possibly win! You’re only a boy, and he’s been a man of war since his youth.”

34 But David persisted. “I have been taking care of my father’s sheep and goats,” he said. “When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, 35 I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. 36 I have done this to both lions and bears, and I’ll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! 37 The Lord who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!”

Some may say that David was nothing more than just a shepherd but God had bigger plans. He was preparing him for his future. He was strong in mind, body, and spirit and had developed that strength through years of humble service and patience.

What are you preparing for? I would like to think that we at Trinity Fitness are preparing to be examples for the world to follow. The most recent reports predict that diabetes will be the number one killer in the near future with as many as 1 out of every 3 people developing this preventable disease. I would like to think that if our lives come down to "survival of the fittest" that we will be the ones that survive. Whether it be surviving the physical threat of terrorist attacks or the threat of preventable disease, we are doing our parts to care for this temple that God has given us. And if a lion or bear attacks us while we are walking down the street this week, I wouldn't be surprised if you are strong enough to "catch it by the jaw and club it to death." We have been preparing ourselves by taking on bears and lions with each and every workout.

No comments: