9/8/11

There is NO Off-Season

I know that I have a tendency to pick on bodybuilders but they just give me such ammunition with their approach to fitness.  I remember many years ago going to the movies with Amber and running into a couple of local gym rats.  These were the guys that everyone knew spent countless hours building their biceps and reputations as the big guys at the local gym.  These were also the same guys who 360 days out of the year looked fat and bloated and the other 5 days during the year looked lean, vascular and almost sickly.  While standing in line at the concessions counter, I noticed them both buying the biggest tub of popcorn and drenching it with butter.  They also bought a large soft drink to wash it all down with.  Knowing these guys, I posed the question of whether or not that was a part of their diet.  The bigger of the two guys sharply and arrogantly responded with "It's the off-season pal!"

Off-Season?  There is no off-season.  Life will inevitably punish those who have an off-season.  We train to be fit and healthy all year long.  I guess that is why diet is a four letter word.  Diets are not meant to last forever and have a built-in off-season.  The definition of off-season is a time of suspended or reduced activity.  For many people it really is a time to be lazy and to excuse inactivity and poor dietary choices.  Some people live their entire lives with off-seasons.  Others eat right and exercise and then slip into their off-season and negate everything they had worked for.

I want my family, clients, and myself to be prepared for any given contingency on any given day of the year.  If life requires me to escape a natural disaster, I want to be prepared.  If life requires me to carry my groceries up several flights of stairs, I want to be prepared.  If life requires me to handle the stress of a busy schedule, I want to be prepared.  There are no off-seasons.  I have to be prepared at all times and the fitness we promote will do just that.  Save the off-seasons for sports.  Health and fitness is year round.

No comments: