3/22/11

Running For Your Life

 "I feel the need, the need for speed."  That of course is one of the classic quotes from the movie Top Gun and oh how true it is for us and our programming.  Amber and I have found a dent in the Trinity Fitness armor.  We are always open to anything that will make us more fit and more healthy.  Sprint training has always been a part of my fitness routine but has suffered in the past years due to my plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.  I can run about once a week before needing to rehab and recover for several days.  Nevertheless, I am going to do it whenever I can because I love it and the benefits are innumerable.

Why do we stop running fast after we get out of school?  Think about it.  When was the last time you ran like your life depended on it?  When was the last time you ran like a dog was chasing you?  Better yet, when was the last time you ran fast enough to catch the ice cream truck?  Sure we all go for a jog or a comfortable stroll here and there but I am talking about running as fast as you can for as long as you can.  I am talking about running wind sprints and intervals.  I am talking about racing your kids, your spouse, or anyone else you can find.  I don't care if you have to chase cars down the street like a bunch of wild dogs.  Get outside and run like someone just threw a grenade in your direction.

Our workouts are wonderful in that they cross all three metabolic pathways but regardless of the run or the distance, they are never full sprints because most of the time we are trying to keep from passing out due to a lack of oxygen.  If the run starts a workout we may run faster than normal but even then we tend to pace ourselves in preparation for the rest of the workout.

I feel like I was my strongest and looked my best when I was a competitive sprinter.  Even now after finishing a good sprint workout, I am sore in places that I usually am not sore in from my other training.  Also, just Google sprinting and look at the images that come up.  You won't find better looking physiques than those of sprinters.  I encourage you to start going to the track and sprinting.  Race somebody, race yourself, race the clock and if you do that, you will no longer be losing the race against Father Time.

No comments: