6/17/10

Lessons for Life


As a teacher I am constantly ask by my students why they need to learn certain things if they don't see them being relevant later in life. I have to admit that I sometimes have a hard time answering some of those questions because the fact is that many things I learned in school are not useful at all as an adult. Don't get me wrong, education should be one of our main priorities but there are those classes that in hindsight were really not that important. It really depends on your chosen field or profession whether certain subjects remain relevant as an adult.

So as a parent I am left with an incredible responsibility. I have to guide my children and hopefully teach and instill in them future priorities and values that will last a lifetime. I have to ask myself whether signing my kids up for this or that is really necessary. I know some parents who constantly have to have their kids in any and everything possible. Wanting your kids to explore many various activities and opportunities is good and will help them discover certain gifts and passions along life's journey. What I see happening though is that we are taking our eyes off the prize. We seem so busy to expose our kids to everything that we forget to focus on those things that will stay with them for a lifetime.

The fact is that many of the activities that we sign our kids up for will only last through Jr. High and maybe High School at best. We will spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars, not to mention hours and hours of our time, on activities and time fillers that will come to a screeching halt before our children even become adults. That is why I am so happy with the Trinity Fitness Kids training. I want my kids to experience the invaluable lessons that come from team sports, dance lessons, and various activities but my priority is to give them something that they can and will pursue for a lifetime.

Ballet and Football will last but for a season while fitness can last a lifetime and will determine the quality of that life.

1 comment:

C.J. Brown said...

Randy,
Great post. It also seems young people are forced to specialize in certain sports (i.e. select teams that play year round, private sport coaches, etc.) at such a young age. This seems like it leads to burnout (not too mention overuse injuries) when they get older, and like you said falls short of teaching them about true physical fitness and health.