4/29/09

Pack Mentality

You have probably heard the quote that your attitude determines your altitude. Attitude will lead to words which will lead to actions. Sometimes it is the other way around. Our words lead to our attitudes which lead to our actions. So a negative attitude will lead to negative words and actions whereas a positive attitude will lead to positive words and actions.
An example would be if you are training with someone who is always complaining or negative about an upcoming workout, it will affect you and your attitude towards that workout as well. Nothing can destroy the spirit of a team more than a negative attitude. It is amazing how much more powerful a negative attitude is than a positive attitude. We have seen it time and time again in professional sports. An entire team is brought down by one guy with a bad attitude. Take away that one guy and the team usually does better.
I deal with it myself. Not often but sometimes I dread a certain workout or exercise. When this happens I have to verbally encourage myself. I have to say out loud that I am going to knock this workout or exercise out of the park.
If you are with someone who is bringing you down because of a negative attitude, I encourage you to change that negative into a positive by either speaking words of encouragement or by limiting your time around that person. Remember that you can’t reap the physical benefits of exercise until you sow positive seeds of victory over those workouts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you!!! I am so proud to be married to a husband who is willing to continually grow!